Roughly one in three adult Americans have a past-due debt that's been
turned over to a collection agency, according to a novel new study. The
following is based on records shared with researchers by the credit reporting
- 35 percent of Americans with a credit file have debt in collection reported
in these files. Bills more than 180 days overdue are sent to collection agencies.
- The average amount owed on bills in collection is $5,200.
- 5.3 percent of Americans with a credit file have bills reported to a credit
bureau between 30 and 180 days past due.
- The average amount owed on past-due debt not yet in collections is $2,258.
- Americans with bills in collection and past-due debt owe a combined average
Looking at Florida, several cities have high percentages of people with
debt in collections. Miami was a hair under 40 percent. Jacksonville,
Orlando and Tampa showed 45 percent, 44.8 percent and 41.6 percent. The
Lakeland area between Orlando and Tampa had a very elevated 47.3 percent
in collections, while North Port on the Gulf of Mexico was at 35 percent.
If you or someone you know has delinquent debt, we may be able to help.
Our team of lawyers is uniquely skilled in dealing with all types of debt
issues from harassment to defending credit card suits to working out repayment terms.